Pho for all
Who doesn’t love a great bowl of steaming hot vietnamese Pho? I’ll never forget the first time I had it in Vietnam, sitting on the greasy stools of Benh Tanh Market in Ho Chi Minh. A fragrant clear broth, rich in flavor, loads of fresh grassy herbs, firm noodles and the pleasant clatter of people ambling about the market…
Corporate Chef Greg Villalon of The Moment Group who just opened in partnership with Cebu based Abaca Group a fast, urban, Vietnamese noodle joint called Phat Pho in Serendra, shares his “cheat” beef pho recipe for us lazy bums at home.
Quick Pho Bo Recipe (Good for 4)
400g Boneless Beef Short Ribs (Sukiyaki Cut )
400g Flat Rice Noodles (cooked)
6 pcs Shallots (pounded)
1 knob Ginger (pounded)
2 pcs Cilantro Root (washed and Scrubbed)
1 tsp Star Anise (crushed)
1 pc Cinnamon Stick
Fish Sauce (Vietnamese or thai Brand) to taste
Sugar to taste
1.5 Liters Water
1 cup Bean Sprouts
1 cup Cilantro Leaves (picked)
1 cup Basil (picked)
1/2 cup Spring onions (chopped)
1 pc Lime (cut into wedges)
1/2 cup Hoisin Sauce
1/2 cup Sriracha Hot Sauce
Usually pho soup bases takes a long time to cook and uses a lot of bones and other cuts of meat . With this “quick” and easy recipe you can enjoy the same flavours of good pho in more than half the time!
1. Place the water in a pot and add all the soup ingredients , bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 – 45 minutes.
2. Season the soup to taste with the Fish sauce and sugar and set aside.
3. Place cooked Rice noodles in 4 bowls and add the sliced raw beef on top ( Please make sure to use a fatty and strong flavoured cut of meat as this will be the primary beef flavour that you will get in your soup.
4. Pour Pipping Hot soup on the bowls and serve immediately .
5. Top any of the accompaniments on your soup as you please and enjoy!
Comments - No Responses to “ Pho for all ”